More than 20 children in New Jersey were taken to the hospital this week after drinking milk contaminated with sanitizer.
The cartons were accidentally filled with the sanitizer at the production plant, according to a post on Facebook from the Camden City School District.
“It was determined that the substance found in the cartons is a non-toxic consumable sanitizer that runs through the vendor machines prior to milk. Unfortunately, many cartons were filled with the sanitizer, sealed, and then shipped out with the milk. We pulled all milk today and NO milk will be served until the investigation is completed. Emergency teams were dispatched to the school. No students are currently ill but were sent to the hospital as a precaution,” according to the Facebook post.
The children’s ages were not reported by the school district, but the Early Childhood Development Center teaches students in Pre-K 3 and Pre-K 4, while the Cream Early Childhood Development Center offers classes for Pre-K to first grade.
Camden County Health Officer Paschal Nwako described the incident as “a scary situation,” according to ABC 6 news.
“Thankfully, everyone who was exposed to the milk is in stable condition and either back at school or home,” Nwako said.
(To sign up for a free subscription to Food Safety News, click here)